Wednesday, March 17, 2010

The haves and have-nots

I finally realized the obvious - why I felt uncomfortable going to expensive places here. Normally I like to pamper myself, a nice spa treatment, a fancy restaurant and so forth. But here, it just feels wrong. I can't stand seeing signs indicating that someone poor will not be let in, or knowing that I was only let through the gate without question because I am white / look wealthy. I don't like going to a restaurant where I know that 3/4's of the city's population can't go, and I don't like the disparity between the waiters and the diners. In the US, so many waiters are working students, or other such people moving ahead in life - here they are the poor - but not the very poor - at least they have jobs. There is over 20% unemployment, and about 25% of the people live in the equivalent of shanty-towns. Some live in worse: "unofficial settlements" where there isn't even running water. Then there are the $20 million mansions. It's disgusting. I'm happy to be living amongst the 'middle class' and forgoing comforts that I could afford here. I know I'm here to help those who do great things. It doesn't feel like enough, and I feel strange every time I post photos of lovely settings without showing the daily reality of life here...

Taken from various pages online:
58% of adults have not graduated from high school
20% of the population has HIV
40% live below the poverty line
over 100,000 'informal dwellings' are serviced by the city (have water/electric)
7% of households have no access to save drinking water
The population has grown by about a million in the last decade (from ~3 to 4 million people) - mostly blacks from other parts of southern africa looking for work. 58% of the unemployed were black as of a decade ago - I can imagine it's only gotten much worse. (Compare to a 3% unemployment rate for whites)
10% of the city's GDP and employment is from tourism
rape, theft, and violent crime are serious issues - no one in middle or upper class lives without bars, gates, electric fences, barbed wire, and security systems (usually most of those things)

Powerful, short videos:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7YV32qz2HJg&NR=1

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IzOmjXpUFG0&feature=related

Cape town is also one of the most multi-cultural cities in the world, and one of the most beautiful. It has a complex history that colors everything even today. To read more: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cape_Town , and a very different view:
http://www.fifa.com/worldcup/destination/news/newsid=1179174.html (perhaps evidence that the "cape flats" are, as I've been told, though very poor, not as dangerous as the more mixed areas, and slightly above poverty line areas)

No comments: