Sunday, September 4, 2011

To have and to flaunt...

One of the things that always troubles me in Cape Town is the display of wealth - I think Oregon has spoiled me in that people don't show off their wealth much. Cape Town is cosmopolitan, fashion is big here. "Pretty" people abound.

Yesterday at Camps Bay Beach there was a girl in line at the ice cream shop who was sickeningly thin, her hands were shaking, and she was talking on the phone about washing her hair. I don't know that I've ever actually heard someone say "well, today I washed my hair then..." - really?? I thought that was just cliche?! Then the 'cute girls' blocking the side walk to make a grand entrance into the fancy car that pulled over to pick them up. Crazy platform heals and loud giggles.

I haven't yet decided why this bothers me - but I have a few suspicions:

- it's unnecessarily impractical - huge platform heals to hang out by the beach? but whatever - this is a minor thing, I used to be impractical when I was young for the sake of looking cute

- the bigger probability: poverty ABOUNDS here - extreme poverty - showing off wealth seems all that more obnoxious when people are begging - why draw that kind of attention to your wealth? why make it so clear that you're a 'have' among 'have nots'?

- priorities - I don't know how these people live - perhaps they have so much excess that the displays of wealth are a drop in the bucket - but likely they are spending money on this instead of other things that I would think are more 'important' - but we can all do more to spend or money toward helping others - I'm no saint there for sure (I'm a one for the common good, three for me kind of girl...)

I don't know... Cape Town is captivating, it holds my heart and always has - but I miss Oregon. I miss the lack of pretense, the lack of judgement, the earthiness of the people. These types are in Cape Town too - I have met them, I must find out where they hang out :)

No comments: