Friday, August 17, 2007

The weather, and joys of being outside!

Today is absolutely beautiful. It is about 70F and sunny - and so far it has stayed sunny all day (though it's just noon, so that may change). People say that in Cape Town you can have all 4 seasons in one day - I understand that saying well! I think I'm in for a streak of good weather though - hopefully it will be good next weekend as well.

Tomorrow my host will take me on a hike up table mountain. I am very glad to be going hiking! Today I plan to walk up to the Rhodes memorial, which is either on or adjacent to campus. I hear it's only short walk from my building. Info on it is here:
http://www.sa-venues.com/attractionswc/rhodes-memorial.htm






















This morning I got to school early and ran an errand for someone I know who also does research here. He is the brother of an old Columbus friend. I had a nice conversation with him before coming on the trip, and got good advice about what to expect, what to/not to do, and what to see. It was nice to get over to a different side of campus and meet different people. They work with early childhood literacy issues.

I am meeting students in an hour - time to get back to work!

(later addition:)

To give an idea of how different the weather is here, I wore a long sleeved cashmere (thin) sweater today and carried my big scarf for a wrap. I was warm by the time I got to my office, and opened my window for the first time today (I think today was also the first day I didn't need to use my heater). However, by the afternoon (though it stayed sunny) when the campus was in shade due to the mountain, I needed the sweater. And by early evening when I walked home I needed the scarf. Tonight when I go out I'll take my coat and the scarf.

Rhodes memorial turned out to be a quick walk uphill from campus, well worth it. There is a little restaurant up there, too - I will go back next week for lunch. Someone was robbed at gunpoint just above that area yesterday, so a professor went up with me. He's my age and does not do my kind of research, so for the first time I was just able to speak to someone my age without any professional interactions involved. It was very relaxing!

We headed back to the department in time for the annual award ceremony, which was kind of boring for me, but I was able to get some good information about what a few people think of how the disadvantaged kids are doing in the courses here. It's always good to hear diverse opinions, even if I don't agree with all of them.

Tonight I'm off to the waterfront for dinner :)

No comments: