Friday, September 21, 2007

I really love it here!

I have had a very busy week and Monday seems like it was long ago. Someone today asked me when I started my job and I said "last week" then I quickly corrected myself - "no, this week, but Monday seems like it was over a week ago!" Everyone here totally understands that is how it is at the start of the quarter, and compounded by the fact that I am new here. I couldn't ask for people to be more helpful or friendly than those in my new department.

Besides preparing for my fall course, I have had some fun this week. There was a college of science party on Wednesday, a department party on Thursday, and a lab party today - 3 days in a row! It has been nice to learn some names, socialize, and get free snacks :) I am still learning the names and faces of the graduate students, but since the faculty is fairly small (14 full time and 2 semi-retired plus 3 staff instructors) I know them mostly all fairly well already.

I used my kitchen for the first time Tuesday preparing for the department picnic. Thanks to the recipe of a friend of mine, I made very successful mini egg-custard pies with cinnamon and nutmeg sprinkled on top. They were very tasty and addictive, and somewhat healthy (at least for my low blood sugar due to the lower sugar and high protein content.)

The nicest part of the week, though, was probably in my last hour. After taking a well-needed rest upon arriving home, I spent a few hours collapsing boxes that I had piled in my garage, then re-organizing things there so I could start cleaning out the random boxes in the house. This was great progress - I finally feel the house is nearly settled. I suspect by the end of this weekend I'll be fully unpacked. This wasn't the nice part though.

When I went outside to load some things (I had borrowed) into my car, I noticed how beautiful the night sky looked, with all the stars clear and a beautiful moon. So I went outside and set up the camping hammock that mom had sent on the back porch, turned out all the lights and enjoyed my little corner of the world. It was so peaceful - it was the first time I had really enjoyed my yard - and probably my house, for that matter. I know I will love living here.

No comments: