Saturday, July 26, 2008

Saying goodbye... and I'm off!!

I'm on the shuttle bus, leaving Corvallis at the moment. I was home for less than48 hours between my conference in Canada and my trip to Cape Town. I was exhausted and barely got the things done that I needed to do before leaving, but I am all packed, and shipping off. My flight isn't for another 11 hours, but I hope to not miss two night's sleep in a row - so tonight I'm off to Portland to sleep in a hotel before my very early flight. I figure 5 hours is better than none. My body will appreciate being horizontal and comfortable - I can dream about it when I'm sleeping sitting up on the plane tomorrow night!

I had a hard time packing, and I feel that I have way too much stuff with me. I tried to only bring the essentials - but I have many different things to pack for this trip so it's hard, plus I'm gone for 5 weeks, so I need a good bit of stuff. I need professional clothes, casual work clothes, going out clothes, hiking clothes, and all this for the Cape Town winter weather - which can range from 50F with cold damp air to 80F and sunny. Then I'm off to Safari in Kruger mid-way through the trip, and in Kruger it is much warmer, so I need summery rugged clothes, but sill warm things for the cool evening.

On top of all the clothes, I have my new camera with accessories, work stuff, fun books to read, and the oddest thing taking up space is a bunch of physics demonstration equipment I'm bringing for one of my friends there. He owes me big time! I hope I'm not over the weight limit!! I'm sure I'm quite close...

I don't yet know where I'm staying tonight. This shuttle is quite comfortable and has internet, so I figured I could take care of it on my way to Portland. I can't believe I'm off in the morning - going far away, for quite a long time. I haven't had such a lengthy trip probably since I went to live in France when I was 18!

My dog-sitter's roommate dropped me off at the shuttle, in conjunction with picking up Audrey. I got to say a long goodbye to her in the parking lot, and tell her what a sweet angle she is. I will miss her like mad. The boys, especially Shadow, were mad to see my suitcases out. Shadow took it out on poor Cirrus. I know the cat sitter will give them good love though.

I will try to post on my blog regularly... Send me emails!!

No comments: