Monday, August 18, 2008

Nice weekend

I'm TRYING to keep up the hard work I did the first week I was here... However, there was just too much fun to be had this weekend!

Saturday, my host, his cousin (a psych prof) and I went hiking at Silvermine. We did an awesome hike that I remembered well from last year. It was nearly a 5 hour hike with some stops for views, photos, picnic lunch, and dessert. This hike is south of the city center, toward cape point, so when you go up the mountain you can see ocean (and false bay) in nearly every direction. There were a few flowers coming up, and the sun was wonderful. When we were at the top, though, big cloud blew in and it suddenly got cold! Good thing we were scrambling up and down a ravine and getting good exercise because it kept us warm :)


























Sunday, my friend took me to Hermanus, which is a breeding ground for whales. He has seen as many as 20-30 in the harbor there at one time. There were 4-5 that we could see, and one did some nice jumps out of the water for us. I could easily see them spewing water out their blow holes, and we could hear them making noises which was super cool!! We stayed there several hours enjoying the sun and view - I could have stayed until sunset! (By the way, whales are hard to photograph!! I did get some video...)






















I had to get home though, for the Sunday night dinner and scrabble game with my host's cousin (a different one from the hike). I lost again, but not quite as horribly as I did the last game two weeks ago. I started the game off with a bingo (all 7 tiles laid at once) and 82 points. I quickly lost my lead though, and the final scores were ~188, 250, 290! My host kicked our butts again... Apparently when I'm not around his cousin usually wins - so there is a conspiracy theory that I am helping him :) Not true! I am just still not that good at the game... I may have done a better job of keeping my lead last night if I had any tiles all night worth more than 4 points, but alas, no :(

No comments: