Tuesday, March 9, 2010

LOVING the intellectual environment

I've given 2 talks so far and am about to give a 3rd tomorrow... I have no idea how it came to be that I could give 5 or so DIFFERENT 1-hour research talks based on my last 2 years of work... Yikes! No wonder I get overwhelmed sometimes :)

But being here, with my focus being on work, and the intellectual environment is amazing... Just this morning at breakfast I listened in on a powerful conversation about the importance of teaching cultural studies WITHIN the culture in question, as explained by a Jamaican scholar. I'm in a dorm with visiting scholars - all here to do research of one sort or another.

Today I'm going to the engineering education research meeting - they'll be discussing things right up my alley. Next week will be visiting the center for higher education - many people I know from past visits, all scholars of similar enough to myself that we can jump straight into the deep end discussions of our work.

Yes, there is a great environment at OSU, but this is like a mini-sabbatical - and just refreshes the brain in ways I can't express...

And oh so much more to do... 1 week nearly done, 2 to go, and a huge list of goals remaining!!!

No comments: