Saturday, August 11, 2007

Enjoying a simple life

I forget sometimes how little is needed in life. It is good to be reminded of that. The other night I wanted a sweet snack before bed. I heated some milk and added a small teaspoon of sugar - it tasted so yummy! It was almost like having chocolate milk. I hardly have any food in my dorm, but I still have more than I need. I'm eating out once per day, and breakfast is provided. So I only need snacks and light meals. Muesli, yogurt, soup, milk, juice, cheese and crackers, and my stand-by protein bars are more than enough. I've enjoyed every meal I've eaten out, too, so I feel like I'm eating like a king.

I woke up drowsy this morning, but after working out I felt healthy and strong. Now that I've had a big breakfast I'm anxious to get out and about. One unfortunate thing about being here is I've been strongly advised not to go anywhere alone, especially after dusk. I do feel a bit cooped up. My host says he normally climbs table mountain every Saturday - and we could do that this afternoon, but not if it may rain. And it looks like it may. Hopefully we'll find something else to do - I long to stretch my legs! Tomorrow should be good weather, and I'm being taken out by another prof and his wife and their 8 month old Oscar, who is very cute. I'll have to see what they suggest, but I would really enjoy a hike.

Last night I got back to my room early and decided to take a break by reading a bit more Harry Potter. I was at that crucial juncture, however, where one more chapter and it was clear I was heading into the climax of the book. I ended up reading the last 200 pages and not getting back to work at all! That still provided me time to catch up on some emails and get to bed early, and I wasn't quite tired yet, so I decided to read some more. The last person in my room left "Slaughterhouse 5" by Vonnegut. Although I brought some other books to read, I decided to take advantage of this gift and give it a try. I always intended to read Vonnegut - he just seems like one of those authors you have to try at least once. Chapter 1 down, and so far, so good. I have enjoyed reading this summer. I have read more books this summer than I have probably in any 2 year span since starting grad school. I completely don't miss TV - I am really glad about that. I haven't seen one all week, and I haven't watched one in over two at this point. I think three even, except a show I watched with my sister at her house: Top Chef. I don't even care who wins anymore.

I should get to work. I have a lot to do! I am trying to download skype - if that works out I may have an easy/cheep way to talk to people, even from here.

2 comments:

rr adventurer said...

Reading books for entertainment sounds delightful! I hope you're able to continue even after you return to the States...

Anonymous said...

I'm The Slime
Frank Zappa

I am gross and perverted, I'm obsessed and deranged,
I have existed for years, but very little has changed.
I'm the tool of the government and industry too,
For I am destined to rule and regulate you.
I may be vile and pernicious, but you can't look away,
I make you think I'm delicious with the stuff that I say.
I'm the best you can get.
Have you guessed me yet?
I'm the slime oozing out from your TV set.