Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Getting to Cape Town

I don't think it really hit me that I was going to Africa until the pilot announced that we were heading over the coast near Algiers. I was suddenly elated - my heart started racing and I thought - wow, I'm really doing something. I went to the bathroom several times through the flight (maybe thanks to the fact I drank a bottle of milk, a bottle of water, a bottle of apple juice AND a mug of tea BEFORE boarding my flight that morning!!!) and each time I stood staring out the window in the back of the plain for as long as I felt I could get away with blocking the view. There were vast brown stretches with small rows of trees, and a rough hewn topography. I suddenly regretted taking the easy route, and going to Cape Town - probably the easiest city one could visit in Africa. But no regrets. I will be back to Africa again one day.

There was a lot of turbulance - at one point it felt we were on a roller coaster and we all popped out of our seats. People gasped. Somehow I wasn't afraid. I trusted in the large craft, and in the calm of the flight attendants. However, I shouldn't have trusted in my own sense of balance, for I spilled a glass of water down my lap. It unfortunately ran between my legs, from my crotch nearly to my knees! It looked exactly as if I'd peed my pants! Fortunately the people next to me saw it happen, and though we had no common language, we had a good laugh together. It dried within a few hours...

The flight was easy - KLM had those individual video monitors with lots of movies and shows to choose from. I also had the new Harry Potter book. I read nearly half of it and watched two movies. I wasn't bored at all, though it sure did feel good to move once we landed!

No comments: