Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Random Thoughts

First of all, CONGRATS to my best friend who defended his PhD today! I knew he would do it, even though I worried for him as if it were my own defense. Now he only has to find a job...

Now on to notes about Cape Town. My first thoughts are that this is a land of contradictions. Here are a few...

It is cold but then it's hot: It's 50's or 60's in the daytime here, and has fortunately been sunny (though it has been a rainy winter so far, the worst on record for cold and wet). So when sunny, and when outside I'm quite hot. However, there is no indoor heat, so inside on a shady side of a building it is quite cold. Everyone keeps coats and hats on to stay warm, and my feet and fingers are perpetually cold. On a rainy day when I can't just walk outside to warm up, it will be miserable. I was prepared for this though and have lots of warm clothes. They also found me a spare heater for my office, and I have a heater in my dorm room.

It's expensive but then it's cheep: last night we went for dinner at the harbor in a fancy part of town. The food was nearly the same price as it would be at an American place, and this was not a fancy restaurant. Then again, today for lunch I got a 3$ meal at a cart run by Harri Krishna's - a huge serving of veg. Indian food that filled me up all afternoon.

It's fashionable then it's hodge-podge: There are people on campus that clearly have money, and flaunt it (though not compared to what I saw at Holy Cross...), however, with the odd wool hats being worn inside, and coats left on not matching the outfits, it feels like a place too practical to be concerned with appearances. I for one, did not at all feel uncomfortable wearing black boots and a black scarf today with an outfit mostly consisting of brown. (Oh, the shock of it!)

It's European yet it's very African: there are so few things here that make me feel like I'm in Africa, yet when I see them, they hit hard. Tomorrow is "Women's day" celebrating women. The students have a demonstration up showcasing the country's "dirty laundry" in terms of women's issues - they are more serious than we usually face in the states. There is a painting of a little girl in the tunnel from the dorm side of campus to the academic side - she has a bullet hole painted in her head. Next to it is an anti-apartheid painting. I got a lot of history today from my host, but I am still totally confused about what makes one black, colored, or african. It seems they are government classifications left over that should be abandoned. The students I am working with are from traditionally disadvantaged groups, and start school with the plan of taking it at a slower pace and finishing a year longer than other students. Some of them try to be tough, but they are just kids. They were very hyper this morning in anticipation of the holiday and a day off school.

I have to say, I love the food both here and in Amsterdam - and when at the grocery store I didn't see a single thing containing high fructose corn syrup! Everything is fresh, minimal packaging, healthy, and less processed than what we eat in the states. I enjoyed the grocery store yesterday. I had my favorite stand-by dinner tonight: instant miso soup with swiss cheese and crackers, juice (some fruit I have no idea what it is - but quite yummy) and seltzer. It was comforting :) I also enjoyed the buffet lunch I had yesterday with some vegetables I've never heard of cooked in ways I've not seen. It was comfort food though, no grease, simply prepared, and very yummy.

It seems someone comes to clean my room - that is a nice and unexpected perk! Now I see why the closets have locks, though. I wish that didn't have to be a concern. Our breakfasts are also impressive - with eggs, toast, croissants, cereals and other treats. I met a few people this morning, and this evening met one of my flat-mates. He is from Zimbabwe, and is here to finish up his PhD. He works on social issues, something about why the world bank hasn't had a big impact on poverty in the areas it has given money to. I hope to meet more of the scholars here - I'm sure there must be some interesting stories and research among us.

My host talks fast, and tells me a lot of information. I'm still quite tired from the trip and think I may have caught a little cold on the plane. I'm trying to keep up but finding it difficult at times. I have now twice gone to the right side of his car to get in - he gives me a hard time about that. They drive on the left here, and the steering wheels are on the right of the car. I can't keep track of the people he's introduced me to, so I've started to make notes for myself about who I've met. I'll give a seminar next week, there is an informal one planned for the week after, and the possibility that I may fly to another part of the country to give a talk as well. It would be great to see a different area, but with all the work we have planned as well, this could be an exhausting few weeks!




















Tomorrow my host is going to take me to Cape Point - I hope the weather holds off, it is supposed to return to rain again. I have been lucky to have clear skies, and the view from my office is amazing. It was breathtaking to exit the tunnel this morning on my walk to campus and see table mountain looming above the academic buildings, as if the campus was a huge stage with the mountain acting as a huge velvet curtain which has been pulled aside to provide an exclusive view, and all the students were actors rehearsing Shakespearean lines.

2 comments:

Farhat said...

Thanks! goodd that you are enjoying stuff. Btw, there are bugs that climb into your orifices there. Beware!

Unknown said...

Keep that camera working, mom