Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Welcome to my first blog!

Hi all,

This is my first blog. I decided that I have all these ideas in my head - observations, reactions, and what not, that I'd like to put them into writing. Perhaps this will be a nice place for family to keep up with what I'm doing, too.

Oddly, having a blog was inspired somewhat by my day in Amsterdam and going to the Anne Frank house. Her diaries were so meaningful. I did not know prior to my visit that her father was the only surviving person that hid in that house. I also learned that he was quite taken aback by the content of her diaries - with the depth of thought and maturity that she displayed in them. I can not promise greatness with this blog - but it is inspiring none the less.

Blogging is also of interest to me for another reason - I think it might be a great way to introduce writing into large lecture courses... That and wikis. I'm not the only one of this opinion, in fact for the first time there was such a session at the AAPT (American Association of Physics Teachers) conferece last week. It was a short/small session - I'm sure it will grow each year.
I wish I had thought of starting this blog at the start of summer - it has been such an amazing summer, and I have had so much to reflect on. However, I say "better late than never" - so let's get started!

Enjoy!

No comments: