Sunday, October 14, 2007

Audrey

Most of you know already as it has been my biggest news of late, but Audrey has Lyme's disease. Fortunately my over-protectiveness paid off since I rushed her to the vet at first signs something was wrong, and insisted on the expensive test the vet didn't think would be needed. Catching it early is the best way to assure quick and full recovery. Shortly after my last Sept. post Audrey started limping, and it quickly got worse. I had pulled ticks off her in Massachusetts back in May (and one off myself) and knew that Lyme's was a real concern out there. What I did not know at the time was that a quick onset of a single front leg limping after a 4-5 month dormant period is quite characteristic of Lyme's in dogs. It is unfortunate the vet here didn't know much about the disease, but I am so glad that I thought of testing her for it - I did know it caused joint problems, though I thought it would effect all legs and not just one.

http://www.thepetcenter.com/gen/lyme.html

Audrey was back to full energy after only a few days of antibiotics, and is now back to her usual antics. She has to take antibiotics for 4 weeks though - there's still about 10 days to go. 4 pills a day! I coat them in peanut butter and at first she ate them willingly. She now refuses though, and I have to slip them in her mouth between her teeth. I can't blame her, I think they make her nauseous. I can't feed her in the mornings as she keeps throwing up. It's worth it though because Lyme's is not to be messed around with. I'm so happy she is doing well...

No comments: