Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Audrey Updates












My dog sitter is a grad student in my department - a very responsible one!! I am so glad to have Audrey staying with someone I can trust, especially while she is still recovering from Lymes. She has a dog, Arthur, that Audrey has quickly become good friends with. I took her over to play a few times, and we took a hike together before I left (the context of the photos here - you can just see the "three sisters" snow-covered volcanic peaks in the background of the one) so they could acclimate, and now things seem to be going great between them! I got a terrific email from her today I thought I would share here:

"Arthur has really figured out swimming in the past week and a half. Audrey pushed him to go our further and then he suddenly realized that he was a good swimmer. Saturday when we were at the river, he was definitely out-swimming her. Given that he is bigger and a bit stronger it's not surprising, but Thursday was the first time I had seen that much confidence out of him in the water, and they kept the same stick the whole time (which is a big deal for Arthur, though I'm sure old hat for Audrey). So on Sat we went and bought them a real water toy, since finding a good stick can be a challenge on the beach there since so many people take their dogs. They didn't lose it. Boy were they exhausted when we got home though. They napped for the rest of the day. She's teaching Arthur how to play frisbee. He's starting to get it more and more, so we'll see how that goes. We also bought them a tug toy because they kept wanting to tug with toys that weren't really going to hold up to tugging. So now they have a tug toy to wander around tugging on."

It warms my heart :) I miss my pookey little girl so much!!! Apparently she still has a bit of a limp - but her energy is obviously back up to normal!! Her spirits were already back up before I left, thank goodness. I would be far more worried if she were still down like she was in early July...

No comments: