Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Staying Busy at Work

Monday I went with two of my friends (the new professors near my age) to the LEAP school:

http://www.leapschool.org.za/johngilmour.q

to do outreach. They had prepared demonstrations to teach the Doppler effect and Standing waves. This is a very well funded school for good students, but it was still nice to get out into the community and interact with students. They were seniors, and very welcoming. They even sang for us at the end to thank us for our time. I was able to jump in and participate, and my friends enjoyed seeing my teaching style and having me partake. It was fun! Now one of them wants me to teach a bit in his college course, too - I should be careful what I get into :)

I'm also spending time with my host's masters student - helping him digest the background literature he needs to write his thesis. It's good for me, too, as it forces me to read new stuff, and think carefully about terminology and education theory. He's also very friendly, so it is fun to work with him. Today he also introduced me to a student lunch venu - african food that reminded me very much of Alabama food - black eyed peas and spinach over spicy rice. It was less than 4$ for a big plate. We ate outside where all the students hang out and got to watch a break dancing exhibition that was drawing a crowd. It's very dynamic to be on a college campus :)

In the physics department, there are big politics going on right now regarding the blending of the disadvantaged students who go through the bridging program with those that go through the standard courses. It has been the "talk of the town" and everyone seems to want to bend my ears about it. I have been given the task of interviewing the students to get their perspective. I am glad to help, and the situation is interesting in terms of how to help these students as well as how to have sustainable educational change, but I'll be glad when this is no longer occupying EVERY tea room conversation!!

I am frustrated with the slow internet, so am staying late tonight to download papers I need and post on the blog, and respond to emails - which has been laregely neglected. It feels like nothing can get done because it takes so long to access resources that are normally at my fingertips... It really depends on the task, though. I shouldn't feel frustrated, because everything has been useful so far.

Tomorrow is my last day of work before heading to Kruger. Then I'll have nearly 3 weeks to work again when I return. They will be busy! There are two people on campus that want my input on their research projects, and this whole interviewing buisness, more with the masters project here, and I am working on a handfull of previously neglected papers for publication.... Glad I'm getting in vacation days on the weekend!!

No comments: