Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Housing Woes

In my first 6 days here I slept in 4 different beds... I am probably not done bed-hopping as my current place isn't ideal and we're looking into other options. The first 4 days I was here I couldn't stay in the house that was reserved for me, so I stayed in a 3-bedroom apartment in the student dorm complex. The most comfortable looking bed turned out to be in the noisiest room, so I switched bedrooms the 2nd night. The apartment wasn't bad, but it was too far to walk to campus (I had to take a shuttle), and the beds were very uncomfortable (I could feel all the springs), and the place was barren, and didn't have any amenities.











Then after 4 nights I was moved into my private house. It is a cavernous big old house - very drafty and cold. The furniture is more comfortable, but it is also barren. The bathroom and kitchen are far better, and I have laundry on-site and a yard, and it's a nice walk to campus. (It's near the dorm I stayed in last year if you recall the post about the 250 odd stairs between there and my office!) However, if it weren't for the alarm clock, heating unit, and good pillows borrowed from my host it wouldn't be too comfortable!











The 2nd night in my new house the electricity went out - apparently it has to be pre-paid and there was no more left in the account. (I wish they had warned me!) The security system wasn't working anymore, and no heat, and it was scarry, so I crashed at the house of my good friend, who was a terrific host. I think that was my first good night sleep - actually staying in a comfortable house!














I'm now starting to get comfortable in my house. I only wish it were warmer and there was internet. And maybe not quite so cavernous :)

The one thing I'm not used to is having bars on all the windows and a padlocked gate in front of each door. At night when whoever drops me off leaves, I have to padlock myself in. It feels a bit like being imprisoned...

No comments: